Friday, May 1, 2009

Using 3G Modem Huawei E220 with Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux

I got a new Compaq Presario notebook V3000 with the default installed OS is Windows Vista Basic. But I only can survive only 2 days due to inconvenience caused by the 8 --)), ago I downgrade to Windows XP. After I change my OS from Vista Basic into Windows XP, I also feel mugginess, I finally decided on just scratch, to install Linux, but I also want to upset what is distro installed? While there, search here on Google, eventually I get a Linux Distro that is relatively easy /new look winsome as the Mac OS, and installation is also very easy,

The distro were created by David Liu, the name of this distribution is gOS (good Operating System) Linux, which is derived from Ubuntu Gutsy 7:10 with the code. First time, it's bundled with a PC with brand gEverex PC, and sold at Wal-Mart store at U.S. $ 199. In demand and very sweet. There gos the last version of the type 3, gos Space, gOS Rocket G and Rocket E gos.

Well I finally chose the gOS Rocket.
This version is lighter, with desktop by Enlightment. Installation itself is relatively easy and quick. I expected from this distribution is the ability to be able to use 3G HDSPA Modem Huawei E220 that I have, the modem I get this modem from Indosat IM2, with packet bundling, price preview at market about 2 million rupiah. After googling that here, finally I can get in the link https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec

Vodafone betavine through community (the group is part of the Vodafone R & D) software spawn Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux which is a user interface for GPRS / UMTS / HSDPA, this software is written in the Python programming language, the GPL license itself. When this device is supported by this software is 3 type device such as: Huawei E220, Huawei E620 and Option Globetrotter 3G + EMEA.

The
features:

  • Data call handling
  • Send/Receive SMS
  • SIM phone book management
  • Graphical user interface with GTK
The steps to set up Huawei 3G modem:
  • First I see the kernel of the operating system, by typing uname -sr will appear as follows: Linux 2.6.22-14-generic. Kernel support is already gsm modem, gsm modem modem known as the pure modem, is not regarded as a storage. At least we already have the kernel 2.6.17, the higher the better, if not with the kernel-level support that, we first upgraded kernel. gOS itself, does not need to upgrade, because the kernel version is already quite high and accommodate gsm modem.
  • Plug in Huawei 3G usb modem to notebook, and then I type dmesg, the following message appears:
  • Because I use my gos that Ubuntu is derived, then I download a file vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-ubuntu-2.0.beta2-installer.run this. Do chmod 755 on files vodafone.
  • Then run ./vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-2.0.beta2-ubuntu-installer.run
  • After appearing Installation Complete! So akan appear in the Applications menu -> Internet -> Vodafone Mobile Connect Card for Linux
  • Just click, and will appear as follows:
  • And the dialog box will appear as follows:
  • This indicates Huawei 3G Modem detected by Vodafone, just click OK. Then will appear to load configuration from Indosat as follows:
  • Click the Load button, and will appear as follows:
  • Edit Profile Name, if you want to change. Enter your Username and Password provided by your ISP, I use my indosat, Select Preferred Connection: 3G preferred, select the Authentication mode: PAP and the content of the APN APN host your ISP, and then uncheck use static dns, let you set up your ISP automatically. Then click the OK button.
  • Click the Connect button to connect to the ISP, if successful Connect button becomes Disconnect button. If DNS fails to appear, or Card / Connection is not detected, repeat again, and so forth until you can, usually if I can exit signal message like that. Next look after successfully connect to the Internet:
  • Try browsing to the website, If successful, Congratulations you have successfully connect to the internet with Huawei 3G modem in Linux gOS!
  • Next image from the Vodafone Internet Usage:
  • Additional note: after I was successful with the version 2 beta 2, I try to upgrade to 3 beta 2, but the only time the connection fails, it seems there is a bug in beta 3, so I downgrade to the beta 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment